Fungi and the microbiome finally got on my radar. Apologies to some, but there is a lot of different items on the microbiome radar screen.
“Small intestinal fungal overgrowth (SIFO)… Two recent studies showed that 26 % (24/94) and 25.3 % (38/150) of a series of patients with unexplained GI symptoms had SIFO. …. but evidence for eradication is lacking.”Small intestinal fungal overgrowth 
As I did with taxa years ago, I will be writing a blog on each one reviewing the literature. If there is sufficient data at the end, I may add it as a feature to Microbiome Prescription.
- CDC provides a list of known fungal diseases: Types of Fungal Diseases.
- For the current list of Fungi reviewed on this list, click Information of Different Types Of Fungi
One of my reader’s results motivated this choice. The data from a Thorne Microbiome Test. 9 out of 10 has less of it. The person also has a Crohn’s diagnosis.
Also see it’s sibling: Fungi: Debaryomycetaceae / Saccharomycetales / Saccharomycetes
Preventive for Fungi
The following are suggestions:
- Reduce and keep your living space humidity at 50% or lower (typically done by dehumidifiers). EPA recommends 30-50% [EPA]; we set our dehumidifiers for 35%.
- Use a HEPA filter appropriate to your space.
Effectiveness of Airborne Fungi Removal by using a HEPA Air Purifier Fan in Houses 
Typically they are described as “Room Size: Up to 1500 sq.ft. maximum”. We are more aggressive and divide that by 4. For example we use 3 Austin Air HealthMate HEPA Air Purifier for our 900 sq.ft. living space.
- Check the north side of your building for mold. If found pressure wash it off and if possible, apply substances to inhibit them coming back.
- Check for mushrooms in lawns etc. If found, remove them and treat where you found them.
Remember, all fungi are not the same. Antibacterial and Antifungal Activities of Spices  does not mention this fungi. Additionally, some spices are known to have Fungal Contamination of some Common Spices  and Fungi and aflatoxins associated with spices in the Sultanate of Oman  which included cloves (often deem an antifungal).
A big group — some good and some bad.
- General Information: Saccharomycetaceae [ScienceDirect]
- “It is the first discovered probiotic yeast. French researcher Boulard discovered this gram-positive yeast belonging to the Saccharomycetaceae family”
- Candida species: the pathogen is a member
- Opportunistic Strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: A Potential Risk Sold in Food Products 
- ” According to numerous studies, Candida albicans and other Candida species are the most remarkable pathogenic fungi “
- Invasive Saccharomyces Infection: A Comprehensive Review 
- “S. boulardii accounted for 51.3% of fungemias and was exclusively isolated from blood. “
- “Overall, S. cerevisiae clinical isolates exhibited low susceptibility to amphotericin B and azole derivatives. “
- Antifungal susceptibility profile of diferent yeasts isolates from wild animals, cow’s milk with subclinical mastitis and hospital environment  provides an extensive table of which children are susceptible to different antifungals.
Unfortunately, Thorne does not provide more detail.