A reader forwarded me a 12 page sample of this report, “Microbiome Functional Analysis Report”. An issue immediately shouted out… two pages where the supplements recommended are their own products — this is a conflict of interests. To paraphrase a long standing legal maxim: “The report must not only be accurate, it must appear to be accurate and unbias”.
Page by Page Breakdown
- Page 1: Alpha and Beta Diversity, Antibiotic Resistone. IMHO, none are usable for treating a microbiome dysfunction
- Pages 2- 5: “Pathobiome” – listing possible pathogens and 4 parasites, everyone should be treated by one of their probiotics…
- Page 6: Ratios of different bacteria (F/B, P/A, P/B). IMHO, none are usable for treating a microbiome dysfunction
- Page 7-8: Ammonia Producing/Ammonia Clearing, Estrobiome, Sulfate Reducing, Methane Producers. Useful to determine if you could be abnormal.
- Page 8-9: drill in on very well research bacteria: Akkermansia muciniphila, Faecalibacterium prausnitzii,Ruminococcus bromii, Ruminococcus flavefaciens, Roseburia intestinalis, Eubacterium rectale,Bifidobacterium longum,Lactobacillus species
- Every one of these recommend their line of probiotics
- Also I was amused, with their ranges having ZERO (0) butyrate producers would appear to be perfectly healthy!
- Page 10: a pending page on metabolic, some 15 (versus ubiome dozens!)
- Page 11: Phylum levels
- Page 12: Family levels
- Page 13: Unique Species
Bottom line: No Genus information, no Strain information, the rest of the taxonomy hierarchy is missing.
See this post for the criteria being used.
|Accessibility: D||No Downloads|
|Significance: D||Ranges given but only on a few|
|Reference: D||Reference to US population with no breakdown|
|Actions: D||Generic with definite conflicts of interest|
|Evidence: D||None could be located|
|Support: –||No issues reported|
|Promptness: –||See data below|
|Metadata: B||Provides simple 3 state ratings, no actual values|
|Overtime: D||Charts provided for metadata|
|Taxa Score: 8% – D||On a sample, only 123 reported|
|Taxa Scope 8%||Only a few reported on|
Has the appearance of being offered as a marketing gimmick for their line of probiotics. Information offered is only of value to newbies.