Fungi and the microbiome finally got on my radar. Apologies to some, but there is a lot of different items on the microbiome radar screen.
“Small intestinal fungal overgrowth (SIFO)… Two recent studies showed that 26 % (24/94) and 25.3 % (38/150) of a series of patients with unexplained GI symptoms had SIFO. …. but evidence for eradication is lacking.”Small intestinal fungal overgrowth 
As I did with taxa years ago, I will be writing a blog on each one reviewing the literature. If there is sufficient data at the end, I may add it as a feature to Microbiome Prescription.
- CDC provides a list of known fungal diseases: Types of Fungal Diseases.
- For the current list of Fungi reviewed on this list, click Information of Different Types Of Fungi
One of my reader’s results motivated this choice. The data from a Thorne Microbiome Test. About 8 out of 10 people have less of it. The person also has a Crohn’s diagnosis (with SIBO and IBS earlier).
Preventive for Fungi
The following are suggestions:
- Reduce and keep your living space humidity at 50% or lower (typically done by dehumidifiers). EPA recommends 30-50% [EPA]; we set our dehumidifiers for 35%.
- Use a HEPA filter appropriate to your space.
Effectiveness of Airborne Fungi Removal by using a HEPA Air Purifier Fan in Houses 
Typically they are described as “Room Size: Up to 1500 sq.ft. maximum”. We are more aggressive and divide that by 4. For example we use 3 Austin Air HealthMate HEPA Air Purifier for our 900 sq.ft. living space.
- Check the north side of your building for mold. If found pressure wash it off and if possible, apply substances to inhibit them coming back.
- Check for mushrooms in lawns etc. If found, remove them and treat where you found them.
Remember, all fungi are not the same. Antibacterial and Antifungal Activities of Spices  does not mention all fungi that I am reviewing. Additionally, some spices are known to have Fungal Contamination of some Common Spices  and Fungi and aflatoxins associated with spices in the Sultanate of Oman  which included cloves (often deem an antifungal).
Thorne only provided only order-level information unfortunately.
- The Pleosporales is the largest order in the fungal class Dothideomycetes. By a 2008 estimate, it contained 23 families, 332 genera and more than 4700 species.[Wikipedia]
- General information: Pleosporales [Science Direct]
- “Several of these Alternaria mycotoxins can have adverse effects on humans such as salivation, vomiting, erythema, convulsions, and gastrointestinal hemorrhage.”
- Can be hard to identify A new pleosporalean fungus isolated from superficial to deep human clinical specimens 
- Associated to Allergic Fungal Sinusitis
Organisms of the genus Bipolaris [a member of Pleosporales] are found in the soil and plant material. These fungi are known to be plant pathogens and infection may result from either inoculation or inhalation of the organism. Infections due to this genus are probably more common than previously recognized and have been increasingly reported in apparently immunocompetent[healthy] hosts. Currently, they should be included in the differential diagnosis of disseminated fungal disease. Genus Bipolaris have been associated with central nervous system infections, sinusitis, keratitis, peritonitis associated with continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis, orbitopathy and allergic bronchopulmonary disease. .Disseminated Bipolaris Infection in an Immunocompetent Host: An Atypical Presentation 
In addition to the ability of this genus to cause invasive as well as ‘allergic’ disease in humans, it is
reported that a rnycotoxin produced by Bipolaris may induce lung and liver adenomas ill mice
Deep cutaneous fungal infection by Pleosporales: An exceptional pathogen in tropical Taiwan  reports successful treatment with 200 mg of oral itraconazole daily for 2-10 months.
Our ability to drill down further is limited because the results only report at the order level. Itraconazole, an antifungal that is the top choice for other fungi reviewed appears to work.