On Microbiome Prescription we have Look up a modifier of bacteria with many entries. It would be good for everyone if we increase the number of entries especially for atypical items.
YOU can help make it happen!
- Find a herb, spice, food, drug of special interest to you
- Go to https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
- Type in the name with ” 16s microbiome “, for example, with “Vitamin K”
Click Search. you will hopefully get a few dozen (or hundreds) of studies.
Next is the long haul part. Go thru them (Example URL).
- For many, the title alone tells you to skip it!! For examplCulturable and Non-Culturable Blood Microbiota of Healthy Individuals.
- Remember, we are not dealing with gut microbiome on the site!
- Others may be interesting: Dietary vitamin K is remodeled by gut microbiota and influences community composition.
- Look at the summary or the full study if available
- The study should be on a human or an animal (there is not enough studies to be picky), skip fishes.
- Look for bacteria names. We need to know the name and how they shift. i.e.
A Ruminococcus ASV, a Lachnospiraceae Anerostipes ASV, two Lachnospiraceae NK4A136 group ASVs, and a Muribaculaceae ASV were enriched in the vitamin K deficient group, whereas a Bacteroides ASV was enriched in the MK4 group, and a Lactobacillus ASV in the MK9 group.
- Then comes the thinking part. Trying to describe the results.
- Can you write a sentence such as “Vitamin K may increase Bacteroides and Lactobacillus and a reduce Ruminococcus, Anerostipes ,Muribaculaceae ”
- If so, include that in the file sent. (I will verify and it will serve as a double check the reading)
- If the study was done on a person (or mouse) with a specific condition, we still include it.
- Sometimes you will find that a substance with a common name may have multiple breakdowns.
- Ideally, find other names of the substance and search each one.
Sending the Information to Me
I would suggest putting the links (i.e. like https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36471554/ ) in a text file or excel and sending to me. Where practical, include a sentence on the impact.
The information sent (when added to database) is available to everyone! This is citizen science! As I remarked to someone earlier today “I do not have a business model, I have a pro bono model“.
The encoded data can be used to evaluate yours and others microbiome against the patterns reported.
The data is extended on entry to it’s children and it’s parent (with reduced confidence)
That is it!!! You spend the time so others do not have to and can act on their challenges with better information!
Email the lists to Research@microbiomeprescription.com