This is the spouse of someone with significant ME/CFS. It is well known that bacteria is transferred between people in the same household unit.
- Kisses transfer 80 million bacteria [2014 Study]
- Cohabiting family members share microbiota with one another and with their dogs. 
- Interplay of personal, pet, and environmental colonization in households affected by community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. 
- Household Transmission of Clostridium difficile to Family Members and Domestic Pets. 
- Environmental Contamination in Households of Patients with Recurrent Clostridium difficile Infection. 
This raises all sorts of questions — which I am not interested in exploring… “For better or worse, in sickness and in health”
My wink wink suggestion for microbiome issues has been “Snog a lot of pretty young healthy things as the best probiotic” — my wife does not agree…..
Comparison between Samples
The first step that I did was to verify that all samples used the same reference sticks. This means clicking this for each sample first.
This person has processed FASTQ data thru both BiomeSight and OmbreLabs. I am using OmbreLabs data below. Using reference tables uploaded in 2023.
|Lab Read Quality||2.1||3.8||3.6||8.3|
|Bacteria Reported By Lab||534||774||721||775|
|Bacteria Over 99%ile||10||3||2||6|
|Bacteria Over 95%ile||58||27||24||22|
|Bacteria Over 90%ile||99||53||44||50|
|Bacteria Under 10%ile||25||68||48||127|
|Bacteria Under 5%ile||13||28||15||77|
|Bacteria Under 1%ile||5||3||1||16|
|Rarely Seen 1%||8||14||9||12|
|Rarely Seen 5%||43||80||60||73|
|Outside Range from JasonH||5||5||7||7|
|Outside Range from Medivere||13||13||17||17|
|Outside Range from Metagenomics||9||9||9||9|
|Outside Range from MyBioma||7||7||8||8|
|Outside Range from Nirvana/CosmosId||23||23||19||19|
|Outside Range from XenoGene||44||44||49||49|
|Outside Lab Range (+/- 1.96SD)||38||39||26||22|
|Condition Est. Over 99%ile||0||0||0||0|
|Condition Est. Over 95%ile||0||0||0||0|
|Condition Est. Over 90%ile||0||0||0||0|
|Enzymes Over 99%ile||14||18||5||23|
|Enzymes Over 95%ile||115||105||59||112|
|Enzymes Over 90%ile||212||192||143||320|
|Enzymes Under 10%ile||63||106||93||266|
|Enzymes Under 5%ile||29||45||27||141|
|Enzymes Under 1%ile||2||2||0||8|
|Compounds Over 99%ile||37||36||31||119|
|Compounds Over 95%ile||289||288||275||281|
|Compounds Over 90%ile||372||381||361||385|
|Compounds Under 10%ile||288||255||235||298|
|Compounds Under 5%ile||192||159||136||216|
|Compounds Under 1%ile||37||14||4||31|
- After the first sample, the next two had improvements but the last one went the wrong way.
- Too high and Too low reduce for 2 samples and then increased
- Too high or too low for Enzymes were the highest for the last sample
- Most of the third party ranges were constant for the first two samples and most got worst for the last two samples.
- Compounds are much less indicative of issues.
- Special Studies are sensitive to lab quality,
- 6/8/2022 4-14%, top items: ME/CFS without IBS, Poor gut motility, Cold Extremities
- 8/4/2022 5-17%, top items: ME/CFS without IBS, Poor gut motility
- 9/6/2022 4- 18%, top items: ME/CFS without IBS, Easily irritated
- 10/26/2022 7 -22%, top items: General: Fatigue, ME/CFS without IBS
ME/CFS without IBS is a consistent top item and we see that the percentage is increasing.
Unlike many samples, we see distinct deterioration in several 3rd party criteria. For many samples, there is no change between samples. We will include those in the consensus, namely:
It is interesting to note that one 3rd part criteria improved: Nirvana. To this, we do our usual:
- Lab ranges
The net result will be more bias to those in the 3rd party criteria cited above. Another way of stating that, we will emphasis more that which everyone agrees are most concerning.
The top suggestions (easily obtained):
- Grapefruit seed extract (studies suggests that the preservative used is the active ingrediant)
- lactobacillus casei (probiotics)
- lactobacillus gasseri (probiotics)
The top avoids are:
- Slippery Elm
- lactobacillus rhamnosus (probiotics)
- cranberry bean flour
- cranberry polyphenols
The downloads are attached:
We mostly eat pastured meats and vegetables. No cereals and little in the way of carbs or even fruit. I used to eat linseed crackers in the USA, but here I eat buckwheat instead. Here in Spain we switched from wild Alaskan salmon, to seasonal, local, small blue fish, like mackerel, sardines, etc. Added Rabbit and can eat a lot more quality raw cured pork, if we want to. I have always enjoyed natural wine and Spain has plenty of it. Fresh made coffee and 100% cocoa. Raw goat, sheep and cow’s milk are also available and I do enjoy them with some regularity.
I used the latest sample with the Kaltoft-Moltrup Normal Ranges. The top suggestions are each because of different nutrients that appear significant with Fiber, total dietary and Magnesium, Mg being a common theme.
- Bean, red kidney, canned, drained: Resistant starch, Stachyose
- Grains, oat bran, dry: Fiber, total dietary, Tryptophan, Magnesium, Mg
- Garden peas, dry, raw: Fiber, total dietary, Magnesium, Mg,
- Grains, rye: Fiber, total dietary, Magnesium, Mg, Proline, Betaine
On the avoid list we have at the bottom:
- Kidneys: High in Vitamin B-12, Selenium, Se, Riboflavin, Cholesterol
- Common bean [White], whole, raw: Kaempferol 3-O-glucoside, Coumaric acid
- Wheat Flour (refined/fortified/sifted packaged), raw: Folic acid
Remember, foods are filtered to the nutrients that are above typical levels for foods containing the same nutrients. The goal is to reduce the intake of nutrients that have been identified to shift things in the wrong direction.
For most people, if you say reduce folic acid in your diet — most people will not have a clue. The purpose of the food suggestions is to translate a precise item into common foods.
Note: If a food in your diet is not in the list then we deem it as neutral. For example: there are 24 variety of rabbit in the food database, only one shows up in the suggestions from the sample, Rabbit, meat, raw, Oryctolaguscuniculus, (Nyama ya kalulu), which suggests to keep eating rabbit. Similarly for milk, the two that shows up are Milk with Cow’s blood (from Africa) of 626 entries for milk.
The video below may help understand Food Suggestions better.
Postscript – and Reminder
I am not a licensed medical professional and there are strict laws where I live about “appearing to practice medicine”. I am safe when it is “academic models” and I keep to the language of science, especially statistics. I am not safe when the explanations have possible overtones of advising a patient instead of presenting data to be evaluated by a medical professional before implementing.
I cannot tell people what they should take or not take. I can inform people items that appears to have better odds of improving their microbiome as a results on numeric calculations. I am a trained experienced statistician with appropriate degrees and professional memberships. All suggestions should be reviewed by your medical professional before starting.
I use modelling and various mathematical technique to estimate forecasts when there is no hard data available.
The information above should always be considered/discussed with your medical professional if possible.